I love learning. I have continued to take classes on various subjects even though I’ve been out of school for over 10 years. Most of the classes I’ve taken were to help me work toward switching the direction of my work. Having Brandon has slowed my progress, but I am starting to get antsy and wanting to take courses again. I’m trying to decide if I’m going to sign up for a class this fall. (Oh, I really, really want to!) Personally, there are a ton of things I want to learn to do; here’s a few:
- Photography - I don’t have any dreams of becoming a photographer, but I would LOVE to learn some tips and tricks that will make our everyday, average pictures a little more interesting. My first step is reading our camera manual. :)
- Knit/Crochet - My mom taught me the basics when I was much younger. We started with crocheting when I was about 10. I think knitting came a few years later. I just never really progressed beyond very basic knowledge. So, I’m hoping to work on that throughout next winter when I’ll be able to stand having yarn sitting on my lap (it’s just way too hot right now).
- Sign Language - I’ve always been so fascinated watching people sign. It’s such a graceful, beautiful language. Shortly after Brandon was born, I decided I wanted to teach him and we got a lot of materials and took a class, but I wish I’d started learning before he was born. He knows a lot of signs now, but it took almost a year for him to really get into it. Now he loves his Baby Signing Time videos. One day, I’d love to be fluent at Sign Language. Not because I need it for some reason, but because I just think it’s pretty cool.
- Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator - I am no graphic artist, nor will I ever be, but I would really like to learn more in these programs to do little projects for myself. I’ve done some basic work in them (and InDesign) at a previous job and I enjoyed the creative process. I have some books to help me learn them. I just have to stop blogging so much and start Photoshopping!
- Creative Writing - About 5 years ago, I got a couple of books from the Creative Writing School in New York. The book gives you exercises to complete and it’s fun to do. I got out of the habit a while ago, and ever since we moved into our house, they’ve stayed packed away. So, I need to go dig them out and start using them again. (Anything to improve the writing on this blog, right?)
- Web Design - I took XHTML and Dreamweaver a few years ago and I even built a very basic Web site for a project I worked on at my last job (that’s still in use today, thank you very much!) but my skills are not mad skills at all. I know more than the average Joe, but I’d love to get into some more advanced design work. One goal in that area is to dump my current canned blog template and customize my site to reflect ME! Maybe by end of summer?
- Cooking - Cooking isn’t my favorite activity. It feels like a major chore. Every. Single. Day. In fact, back in January, Matt and I started using Supperworks because we were so bored with our own cooking. That has really helped, but I wonder if I’d enjoy cooking more if I knew more about how ingredients work together to make good food. I can follow a recipe - no problem. I even think it turns out well when I cook from a recipe. But I’m not the person who can go to the cupboard and throw a meal together on the fly. That’d be awesome if I could, though. I could get the pantry emptied out.
That’s probably enough for now. I have no idea when I’ll find time to pursue all of these, but I’m thinking about a plan.
Do you have things in life you want to learn to do? What are they? What drives your interest in these activities?